Bay Olympic (@2.62) vs Melville United AFC (@2.0)

Our Prediction:

Melville United AFC will win

Bay Olympic – Melville United AFC Match Prediction | 23-08-2019

It allowed 17-year-old Steven Holloway to move into the forward line, and he proceeded to pot 10 goals in the cup run, while Stu Watene looked far more at ease on the flank than up front, and Grant Cooper reverted from midfield to left back. Then from ugly duckling there was a Clark Kent-Superman transformation. The mid-season arrival of Jeremy Field helped.

Indeed, it meant Technical became the first North Island club outside of Auckland or Wellington to so much as qualify for the final. The goals came from John Dekkers, Peter Feenstra, Klaus Poelman and 18-year-old Trevor Jones, but the star for Technical was captain and centre half Arthur Leong. 1962: Technical Old Boys scored a crushing 4-0 win over New Plymouth club Moturoa in a match played before about 2000 fans at Seddon Park to become Waikatos first cup finalists.

Bay Olympic-Melville United live score, results

Garmon Hafal gave Melville hope when he scored from a slick move seven minutes into the second half, but an equalising goal would not come, despite a solid 15-minute spell. A 25th minute goal to dangerman Roy Krishna and a penalty for handball right on half time always left Melville chasing the game. Substitute Meneua Fakasega killed any thought of a fightback in the 79th minute before Krishna wrapped up the win two minutes later with a really classy second goal.

Jones worked the ball down the left flank and somehow got it across for Fellowes to slide it into the path of Paul Thompson who found the top corner from just inside the area (and celebrated with a somersault in the mud). Redwood Park, perched on a hilltop plateau, was possibly the most windswept, exposed pitch in New Zealand and Tawa were tough opponents. Not until extra time did Waikato assert themselves.

Theyd beaten Wellington national league club Hungaria 1-0 in the quarterfinals. 1970: Hamilton AFC had been disappointed at not being selected for the inaugural national league, but had a strong Chatham Cup run. But Hamilton couldnt repeat that upset in the semis, and lost 2-1 at Muir Park against a Blockhouse Bay team which proceeded to win both the Cup and the inaugural national league.

But no club has managed to secure a home semifinal tie since Hamilton AFC lost 2-1 to Blockhouse Bay at Muir Park in 1970. Today (2013) is the first semifinal contested anywhere in the Waikato in 43 years. Waikato teams have made the semifinals a further five times since Hamilton Technical Old Boys became the first provincial club to win the Chatham Cup in 1962.

Graham Jones (now a Melville Old Boy) came north from Nelson United, Lawrence Fitzpatrick, Brian Chisholm and Greg Larsen stepped up from youth ranks, and added to the mix were imports Steve Tate and Darren Powell. Darren Melville, Lance Bauerfiend, Marcus Gerbich, Gary Dillistone and Chris Roberts came across town from Waikato FC (a private entity which had leased Claudelands Rovers northern premier league berth in 1987). Mark Cossey was back, Liverpool product Brian Hayes transferred from Ngaruawahia, and Tony McIsaac from Cambridge. 1988: Hamilton AFC and Claudelands Rovers came together to form a Waikato team to take up an extraordinary vacancy in the national league and amazingly the embryonic club won the Chatham Cup in its first year of existence. Roger Wilkinson had a solid team, anchored by tough 29-year-old Geordie Dave Merritt. Paul Gemmell, previously with Hamilton AFC, returned from a couple of highly successful seasons with Manurewa.

Technical amalgamated with Wanderers in 1964 to form Hamilton AFC though a disaffected group later broke away to re-form the Wanderers club. Even their claret and light blue shirts were homemade. They would train under street lights near the Founders Theatre (which was built that same year) and use the Riverina Hotel for the aftermatches. At the time Technical had no facilities to speak of.

Bay Olympic Fixtures

A funding drive kicked off by the Waikato Times raised over $10,000 to make the trip possible, though there was no fairytale ending, with Narra losing 2-0. Jeff Coulsheds Ngaruawahia benefited from picking up many members of Melvilles 1997-98 summer national league squad, including Brian Hayes, Matt Williams, Aaron Kingi and Marcus Traill. 1998: Ngaruawahia United beat the likes of Eastern Suburbs, Bay Olympic and, er, Wanderers, to earn an away semifinal against Dunedin Technical. Also on board were Wayne Bates a green-haired teenaged at the time and a dreadlocked Nicolai Helwig, both later to wind up at Melville.

Wellington were no mugs, with Steve ODonaghue, Anthony Buick-Constable, and the powerful Phil Barton up front, but Waikato won a dour, gritty contest courtesy of a penalty shootout after 120 minutes without a goal. However Hayes then put his shot over the bar, leaving Wellington to draw level. In the shootout Merritt stepped up first and put Waikato ahead. Then Dillistone saved Tony Buick-Constables kick to give Waikato a margin. But John Denham shot wide to leave it at 1-0.